Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My Best Friend, My Love

i met Korrie eleven years ago. she was just starting college, a beautiful young girl excited about life. i was the disillusioned recent graduate.

thinking back about those times, i realize i how easy it was to talk to her. she was, and still is, full of wonder and questions, eager to listen to my stories, to sit for hours over coffee, talk and laugh.

it wasn't until six years later, after i'd left kentucky for the west and things unkown, traveled to asia and great britain, hiked the AT and hitch-hiked from colorado to virginia, that i moved back to kentucky and found myself sitting with Korrie in my butternut yellow trailer, drinking coffee and smoking hand-rolled cigarettes. we ended up talking about what we wanted out of life. i saw her again, for the first time, with new eyes and a new heart.

on february 13th we started "dating" -- on april 5th we were engaged. it was an intense five weeks. our six-year friendship was a fertile soil for our love to grow; our conversations were serious, deep, soul-searching and soul-revealing. i remember one particular conversation we had at TGI-Friday's. Korrie said she had something to tell me, but she was afraid it would push me away. i instantly reacted from a past hurt and said she should tell me everything. my mind raced and raced, trying to forsee what possible, terrible thing she could say. she delayed and my mind raced as i searched her face, her eyes, for what she was going to say. suddenly i knew. i told her i knew. i knew what she was going to say. she didn't believe me, so i asked if she wanted me to say it first. she responded with a defiant air, "go ahead." i simply said, "i love you too."

we were engaged for 14th months, and on a fine sunny day in June, with the ever-present threat of rain, we were married. outside. barefoot. it was the happiest and scariest day of my life, embarking on this new journey into the unkown, with my best friend, my love.

four years and two kids later, we're still discovering ourselves and each other. our friendship continues to deepen, our love continues to grow.

3 comments:

caron said...

that's a great post, lee.

kiara76 said...

I love reading your blog I learn something new in each post. Great writing.

Anonymous said...

I remember the barefoot day of bliss you were married on. For me, I was indeed happy for you. My memory, however, is of coming early with Chad and mowing the huge lawn, driving around in a truck setting up chairs, and accidentally ditching your brother who wanted us to "prepare" your car for your departure after the reception (Chad and I bailed because it was raining, and John was mad). It was a great day, except it was great in different ways for different people.